Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hysteroscopy Day- Part Two

Had I known I would have titled these last two posts "Hysteroscopy Attempt Day".

So we left for the hysteroscopy around 8am to get there by 9am....procedure was scheduled for 10.

On the way there, this came on the radio...
Jim and I got a good laugh about it, thinking Jack wants to come with us today for the procedure. We sang along and laughed in the car.

Finally we got to the RE's office and got checked in....still laugh how they put my age as 32.6. We don't need to round folks, a plan old 32 is just fine!!
 

Anywho, they got me set up in my room and in the lovely gown. Here I am.... not recreating the "Silence of the Lambs" picture though sorry...
Shortly after this, the anesthesiologist came in for my IV. Not surprisingly it took him 3 times to get a vein that worked. Thankfully it was only 3...I always like to tell people about the 7, yes 7!!!!  sticks it took to get my IV in for my first ER. It usually makes whoever is sticking me feel better!

While I waited for Dr. Oz to come in and go over what the procedure entailed, the nurses needed a urine sample to do a quick pregnancy test. Standard procedure of course and this part always makes me laugh. Although.... when they came back into the room a few minutes later and said it was positive? I wasn't laughing.

Both the surgical nurse and the anesthesiologist came in to pull some blood from the IV that was already started and they both were super chipper about it, like "Oh this is great, you're gonna be pregnant and get to skip all this". No one really understood why I was tearing up.

Thing is... I had asked all the doctors I've seen since December to run an hcg on me to make sure my levels dropped to zero on their own. No one saw the need for it. Who could blame them though....after a birth PLUS a D&C wouldn't it seem likely that they'd be at zero pretty quick? One would think so, but you never know.

So Dr. Oz came in and told us we'd have to wait for the bloodwork to come back. Anything over 5.0 is considered positive and we'd have to cancel the procedure. Well....now I'm thinking about it. Since I don't have normal (or any ) cycles that I'm aware of I suppose its possible to be pregnant and not know? I did some quick calculations in my head and decided that if this beta came back positive and was in the hundreds (100-300) then OMG its possible I was pregnant.

We sat there for 1.5 hours in my gown and with the IV in my hand waiting for the bloodwork to come back. Finally , Dr. Oz came back into our room and said " Its a 7.1 , that's positive you're free to go today". Well that's a load of crap...7 .1?????   That's practically nothing, barely positive, but protocol of the office states its positive and they wont do a hysteroscopy on someone who could potentially be pregnant. Apparently despite the fact that its CLEARLY from their previous loss. I mean, the hysteroscopy was being done to confirm suspicion of retained tissue. Wouldn't retained tissue keep some hcg in the system?

Of course, the nurses and anesthesiologist come back in all happy. Yay, its positive!!! Yet, I'm bawling at this point. I told them, NO! I'm not pregnant....this has to be from my loss. What can you do though, they can't take a chance just on my word alone and I understand that.

Now.... I have to go for beta #2 on Monday to confirm its not a pregnancy. Once they get those results back I can call and reschedule my hysteroscopy. Another day off work, fanfreakin' tastic. As if I'm not already far enough behind on the workload of 4 people that I have to do daily....add another day to it.

However, now I get to sit all weekend and obsess over this. My first question is , if my beta was only 7 then how the hell did the urine test positive? So I'll be obsessing over that....maybe they entered the number of my beta wrong. Maybe its 71.1 and not 7.11 ...or maybe its 711.0?  Maybe I actually am pregnant and they were just rushed to get my test result back to me? Ok, ok stop laughing. I know its crazy but these are the goofy things I think of. Of course, you and I both know its not true. I'm not pregnant. Its pretty likely now that I do have retained tissue despite a birth AND a D&C because my body doesn't do ANYTHING right.

Nothing.

At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment